Fall Data Challenge: Teacher Resources
September 23, 2019
You’ve heard all about the 2019 Fall Data Challenge: Help Solve Homelessness, so what are the next steps to get your students involved? Here are some tips on how you can incorporate the Fall Data Challenge into your upcoming curriculum.
Get Your Class Involved
- Offer the Fall Data Challenge as extra credit or as a class assignment
- Volunteer to help students form teams, and/or to sponsor teams
- Offer your classroom as a meeting and workspace for student teams
- Assess your students’ knowledge and interest in statistics
- Motivate them about the future benefits of learning statistical skills
Introducing Students to the Fall Data Challenge
- The Fall Data Challenge is students’ chance to apply statistics to the real world and help address the national homelessness crisis.
- It’s a contest from the American Statistical Association where students can analyze real data to help address a pressing current issue.
- To compete, students must form teams of 2 to 5, find a teacher to sponsor, and make sure they have read about the submissions process at thisisstatistics.org/falldatachallenge/
- For additional details and resources, visit thisisstatistics.org/falldatachallenge/
What is Statistics?
- Statistics is the science of learning from data. Statisticians turn data into knowledge, detecting signals from the noise in the data.
- Statistics is among the fastest-growing jobs around the world. The Bureau of Labor Statistics listed statistician as one of the fastest-growing careers between 2018 and 2028.
- Those with statistics training have a wide variety of career fields from which to choose.
- If you don’t want to be a statistician, you’ll still benefit from taking statistics classes.
- More and more career fields need workers who are statistically literate, especially in our growing data-driven economy.
Get more resources about statistics in our Educator Toolkit.
U.S. News & World Report’s annual jobs ranking list shows statistics continues to offer great careers with above-average salaries, broad applications, and low unemployment. Statistician ranked as the #1 Best Business Job, and #6 among the top 100 Best Jobs across all categories! It also ranked #6 among the Best STEM Jobs If you’ve followed…
It’s been another great year for statistics! Careers in statistics, the science of using data to make decisions, are still among the fastest-growing and top-paying jobs in the country. As data availability increases, there is a greater need for experts to interpret what it means—statisticians are in high demand in any sector, all over the…